Making bone-in proscuitto is easy and a great way to enjoy the delicacy without the price.
Ingredients are simple.
1 pork leg with skin on (as for a green ham with skin on)
3.5% of weight of sea salt
I brining bag
- Remove the aitch bone and shape the ham to form a classic proscuitto shape.
- Cut a slot back at the hock inside the achilles tendon to hang the proscuitto
- Bleed the femoral artery well
- Pack salt at the socket bone and at the hock heavily. These are the problem areas that are prone to rot. Lightly salt everywhere else.
- Seal up in a brining bag.
- Place under refrigerator for 40 days. Turn every other day or so.
- Remove from bag. Rinse well with red wine.
- Hang at 80% Relative Humidity and 48 degrees for two months.
- Apply sugna to the exposed surface of the proscuitto.
- Pull anywhere from one year to five or even more years.